MASSACHUSETTS – Unless you’ve not looked at news/media recently, you’ll be able to know that three towns in Massachusetts were victim to random house explosions as a result of a gas leak. The governor of Massachusetts had declared a State of Emergency as fires were legitimately just popping up randomly. About 60-80 fires in Lawrence, Andover, and North Andover caused a mass arsenal (basically), which left 1 dead.
State and Federal officials as well as officials from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) are wondering what could have caused this to happen. As this time, many are still ordered to stay evacuated as many residences and businesses have not been deemed “safe”.
The issue that caused the explosions is reportedly related to gas meters that were fed by “overpressurized” distribution lines, the state’s top emergency management official said at a Friday news conference. (People.com)
According to CBS Boston, some 8,500 gas meters in the region, served by Columbia Gas, were affected.
Just before one of the blasts Thursday evening, Leonel Rondon, 18, was sitting in the driver’s seat of a car parked in a Lawrence driveway, talking with three friends. Then the house exploded, sending the chimney into the car, reports The Boston Globe.
Rondon, who had just gotten his driver’s license, died later that night at Mass General Hospital.
Lawrence (MA) General Hospital officials said in a press conference they treated 13 people, with injuries ranging from minor to blast trauma and smoke inhalation.
Fox News, also reported that a Massachusetts Police Officer lost his own home while trying to fight the fire[s] to save a young teen. “Officer Ivan Soto of the Lawrence Police Department told Boston 25 News he witnessed his residence go up in flames but went back to work after ensuring his family was safe” – Fox News Reports
The cause for the fires has been deemed as an underground gas leak, why, however it started, is still pending investigation.